Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Wedding Dress

My sweet friend Sheila Williams is doing something so touching and special, that maybe one day I will do it too. She just started this over the summer with her daughter-in-law. They knit baby blankets for the babies in the NICU. They are called Kangaroo Blankets. It is so the baby and the mom/dad can have skin to skin contact. The babies seem to respond and get better faster.

Another neat ministry she is doing, called Threads of Love, is much more heart wrenching. It is to sew outfits for the tiny pre-mature babies who die. Many of them do not fit into anything for their burial. She told me that women donate their wedding dresses for the cause. So that is what I did. I did not get my wedding dress heir loomed like most do. It was tucked away in my closet. It was fun to try it on one last time--there were no photos for this!! I am not the size I was back then, but at least I could get it zipped.

It was fun to let the girls put it on. They had a blast.

Here is Katie in her momma's wedding dress.




And here is Lisa.
It was so much fun to see my girls wearing my dress.



I bought that dress for $200.00 at Bride's Mart back in 1997. It is a cream-colored dress that was perfect for an island wedding. It fit almost perfectly except the length. The funny thing is that when I went to put it on for our wedding, it still had that "do not steal from the store" alarm thingy in it. I wonder if the lady who altered my dress thought I stole it.


Our wedding was anything but perfect, and so has been our marriage. God has performed mighty miracles in our lives and I am so thankful for this man whom God gave to be my husband.



Mike and I on our wedding day (we look so young--I was 25 and Mike was 29)
October 21, 1997
St Thomas, USVI.



This is my very favorite picture from our wedding.

It was not hard to want to donate my dress. My prayer for Lisa and Katie is that they get to wear white dresses for their wedding, that they do not conform to the world or follow their "hearts". That they remain pure until their wedding night.

Create in them a pure heart, O God, and let that purity of heart be shown in their actions. (Psalm 51:10)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I love this, Sandy! What a beautiful cause to donate your precious wedding dress! I love seeing the girls in your gown.