Saturday, August 21, 2010

Jury Duty and a good book

On Monday I had to go fulfill my civic duty. Of course I really didn't WANT to, but after getting there, it was not so bad.
I was potential juror #15. It was in civil court over a custody battle between a mother and a father who both claimed to love their elementary age boys. Neither parent had major issues, one may have had a bout with depression and the other was wealthy. The attorney asked me my opinion after hearing everybody else give theirs. I thought how selfish this mom and dad were being. I essentially said that and needless to say, they did not pick me.

I lost my parking ticket while fulfilling my civic duty and had to fork over $16. I could not believe that. I would have only had to pay $8 for all day parking. I know I lost it when I had to empty my pockets to get into the justice center. I cried. I just did. Crying did not make me feel any better, and knowing I get $6 for the day did not help. It is robbery--I bet the parking lot attendant makes minimum wage, plus it is not like the whole parking lot was empty (or full). The person/people/city are making money on parking. To have to pay DOUBLE--that is insane.

OK, enough of that.

I am reading a wonderful book by the president of World Vision called "The Hole in our Gospel." I am only half way through, but it is humbling and inspiring. Richard Stearns talks about his own journey from a corporate CEO to the CEO of World Vision. He talks about how in America we have a shallow and diminished view of the world and poverty and advancing the kingdom of God. That is so true, as I sit here behind a computer in an air conditioned home with running water and electricity and a refrigerator full of food and a closet full of clothes.

I think it is going to boil down to this- obedience to God. After all, is not obeying God the way to tell if we really know God?

Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. 1 John 2:6

We do sponsor 2 little girls in Honduras through World Vision, help the homeless here in San Antonio, and also do "microfinancing" through Kiva, but it is not enough and we can do more.

Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality, as it is written: "He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little." 2 Corinthians 8:13-15

There is a quote from John MacArthur in this book: "The true gospel is a call to self-denial. It is not a call to self-fulfillment."

No comments: