Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mighty to Save

Tonight Mike and I watched a Loui Giglio video called Fruitcake and Ice Cream. The topic is on friendship and grace.

Part of the story was about a college senior who was balancing a party life with completing college. She was not a Christian, her boyfriend lived in an apartment with her and then cheated on her. She kicked him out and got another room mate who happened to be a Christian. Now this Christian girl did not judge, she listened and she prayed.
Eventually, after much boyfriend drama, this party girl wanted what this Christian girl had. Part of the story, and the story is much deeper, is that when she heard the song Mighty to Save the first time, it made her cry, she wondered why everyone raised their hands.

I needed to read the lyrics again, like I was listening for the first time.

Everyone needs compassion,
Love that's never failing;
Let mercy fall on me.

Everyone needs forgiveness,
The kindness of a Saviour;
The Hope of nations.


Saviour, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.

Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

So take me as You find me,
All my fears and failures,
Fill my life again.

I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in,
Now I surrender.


Shine your light and let the whole world see,
We're singing for the glory of the risen King...Jesus


This party girl would journal and in her journal called her room mate a fruitcake and that is why part of the title is Fruitcake and Ice Cream.

This story does not end here. The party girl gave her life to Christ, journaled about it, about her changed life, e-mailed Loui Giglio, he responded and she thought it was crazy awesome that he would e-mail her back.
Three months later she died in a car accident. She was only 22 about to graduate from college.

Wow. It has made me think so much this evening.

We don't know how long we have on this side of heaven.

We don't know what our witness does for others.

Lord, I pray that I don't come across judgemental towards others, but loving. Let me not care what others think of me, if they think I am a fruitcake, let if be a fruitcake for you.

So take me as you find me, all my fears and failures, fill my life again. I give my life to follow, everything I believe in, now I surrender...

No comments: