Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Another Decade Gone/ My Dash

Birthdays have never been a big deal to me.  Turning 40 is really no big deal either.  I don't know if my life is half over or not.  I want to live as though today is my last day.  And I am ready in case it is.  I am also ready in case it isn't.
  
The 20's decade was one of major life changes--career established, marriage and children.  The 30's decade has been one marked by my walk with Christ becoming REAL.  There were some tough years in there--I would never want to repeat these lessons.  They are learned--by the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ.

But as a decade closes, it does cause me to pause and reflect.

As I reflect on the last decade I am filled with humble gratitude.
 
-God took a marriage on the brink of disaster and created something beautiful.  He continues to mold us and shape us and form us into His likeness.  And it is not an easy job :)  I pray for God to protect our marriage from the pull of the world, for our marriage to honor the One who pieced it back together and for us to grow old together, laugh with each other, cry with each other, raise our daughters and teach them to love and honor God above all else.  I also pray for their future spouses to have a love for God and are running hard after Him.

-God took my mom to her heavenly home.  I am thankful that my mom is out of the misery that gripped her for her entire life.  She now is with Jesus and I cannot wait to see her again in His perfection. I pray for comfort as grief still tugs at my heart every now and then.

-He has given me some beautiful, godly friendships.  These ladies have encouraged, counseled, laughed, cried and come along and walk this walk with me.  I pray to learn to be a good friend.  To listen.  To encourage and build up and to not tear down. 

-God has allowed me to work in the emergency room again.  I pray that I am His hands and feet as I care for those who come through our doors.

-He has given me an opportunity to serve at church in a role that is still being defined.  It is fun to see it roll out before us.  However, it is pulling me out of my comfort zone.  I pray that whatever the plan is, it is His plan and not "the church's".  I pray that He equips me to do whatever it is He has in store and that I do it with a willing heart.

In ABC a couple of weeks ago, Pastor Zach taught on Unresolved: Time.  Specifically "your dash"-the dash on your tombstone.

What am I doing with my dash?

My dash is not my dash.  My dash belongs to the Lord.  This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118:24

My dash is short.  1 Corinthians 7:29...the time is short...

My dash is like a dash, a race.  It will take some effort and energy.  It may even be exhausting!
 2 Timothy 4:7-8  I have fough the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all those who have longed for His appearing.

My dash intersects with eternity.  Ecc 3:11...He has also set eternity in the hearts of men;...

My dash is not about a "bucket list", about jobs, money, more things, accomplishments.  It is about the people I love. It is about the things that last for eternity--people, not things. This is where I make a differance.  Am I being present with others, am I being tender, being patient?  Am I being hypocritical in how I am spending my dash?  Am I being selfish or being a servant?

 Jesus used His dash as a servant.

I want to use my dash to be a servant.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Was it your birthday Sandy?! I missed it?! I am wishing you a belated birthday and I thank God you were born and for bringing us together! You are an amazing woman of God. Its been a joy to watch the past 4 and 1/2 years of your life with Mike and the girls. I am thankful for you!

Amanda said...

Did I miss your birthday?!!! Happy belated birthday!!! I am so thankful for having you in my life. I thank God you were born and for bringing our families together. You truly are a strong woman of God and I pray He continues to strengthen you and bless you with His joy and peace. Its been a joy watching your family the past 4 and a 1/2 years. I am thankful for you and your family! Love you friend!