Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Amazed at God's Word

I have been learning SO MUCH and it is SO EXCITING.  I don't want to forget this stuff.

I have been learning so much about Paul in BSF and in another Bible Study I am doing.  Plus Adult Bible Class at church has hit on a few points also.

So Paul was this fellow, a very smart guy from Tarsus, who was raised Jewish, studied under a prominent pharisee, teacher of the Law named Gamaliel.  But he did not believe in Jesus Christ as the  promised Messiah.  He persecuted the followers of "The Way", had them arrested and would even go and get them from Damascus and bring them back to Jerusalem as prisoners to be punished.

So he has his "Road to Damascus" life changing event and he becomes this powerful witness for Jesus Christ.

One of the things that has struck me a few times is this:  With Paul's conversion, the disciples did not trust it at first (Acts 9: 26).   Acts 9:15 says "This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the the people of Israel.  I will show him how much he must suffer for my name."

A couple of thoughts here.  He was Jewish and God says he is going to carry His name before the Gentiles.  Gentiles and Jewish people didn't really associate much together. They couldn't hardly even eat together.   Hmmm.

Another thought is how was he going to get an audience for the kings?   Make an appointment perhaps?  :-)

And then the "I will show him how much he must suffer for my name."  Wow.  I believe that is a scary statement coming from Jesus--one who suffered for Paul, for me.

There is the whole Jerusalem Council in Acts 15, which to me is huge.  Gentiles no longer had to convert to Judaism in order to be included among God's people.  (Acts 15:9)  Jeremiah 12:16 even prophecies about it.  So the apostles come up with only 4 rules instead of the 600+ the Jews had to follow called the Apostolic Decree.
1. abstain from food polluted by idols
2. abstain from sexual immorality
3. from eating the meat of strangled animals
4. and from blood.
This meant that Jews and Gentiles could eat together...they could fellowship around a meal!!  I think that is amazing.  It was pivotal.

I was studying Acts 19 and came across verse 11.  "God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, "
As I reflect on that I also reflect on the verse that says he must suffer for Jesus' name.  So many times in Paul's testimony he is in prison--that is how he got his audience in front of kings.  But yet he pens verses like Acts 14: 22 " We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God." after he was stoned and
Philippians 4: 4 "Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice"  while he is in prison in Rome when Nero was in charge and he was awaiting trial.

Paul suffered for the name of Jesus Christ.  He suffered in a manner that glorified Jesus Christ.

I reflect on the materialism all around, about the bubble I can put myself in, about living a life that is whole-hearted Christ-Centered.  My hope is to live my life completely for Christ.  To be bold in my faith, to be content in my circumstances.  To honor God in all He has called me to do and trust that He will equip me...no matter what.

Philippians 4:11b-13:  for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  For I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

No comments: