Thursday, February 26, 2009

Complaining

Life is hard.

In the midst of difficult circumstances, my own flesh wants to be in control. When I am not in control or things are not going my way, I complain.

God has been convicting me lately. The other night in BSF we studied Numbers 11-12. The topic was about complaining. Ouch. One of the principles given was that complaining is a sin against God and comes from unbelief.

Do I think that God is not in control (like of marriage, finances, economy), or do I think that He is not doing a good job? Am I bored with what He has given me? Am I buying into the lie the world tells me--I need this or that to be happy, gossiping, spending money we may not have.

Do I forget the provisions God has provided? Am I trusting Him to take care of me and my family?

Psalm 68: 19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens

For Lent, and hopefully for the rest of my life I am giving up complaining and even venting (which is a nice word for complaining). I will replace the spirit of complaining with a spirit of thanksgiving.

Hebrews 12:28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Sandy, You write so beautifully! The more I learn about you, the more I love you! I want to stop complianing as well. This has inspired me - Thank you!

Nicole said...

This has put me in check, for sure! Great post!