My heart is just breaking on so many levels.
I have not written about the death of one of our close family friends who took his own life on Nov 5. I still am not able to adequately express my grief for his wife, Deb, and their two daughters Ellie and KK. Even our grief runs deep.
Deb and I started to run together a few years ago. She is an eighth grade teacher at Concordia, Ellie is in Lisa's class and KK (Kate) is in Katie's. We have spent time with this family at school functions, athletic events and hanging out by their pool. Ellie had her first successful sleepover at our house. There was no indication there was anything wrong. None. On the outside everything looked perfect. Sometimes I wish we could go back in time...specifically to two events and just ask "How are you...no really...HOW are you?" We loved to talk to him and joke around. We only talked seriously about jobs. He had a very interesting one. We very much enjoyed being around them. I have no doubt that he is with our Lord in heaven. No doubt. 1 Peter 2:25 says the Jesus is our Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. I love that!
Are we transparent enough? I mean, do we put a front on for others to see so that they think we have our lives together when in fact it just may be falling apart? We were not created to go through life on our own. God gave us community with our family, church family, friends. He gave us others to go through this life with. He even set the example!!
Today there was a school shooting in Connecticut. Last I heard, 26 people were killed with 20 of those being kindergartners. Lord, have mercy.
I cannot even imagine just a few days before Christmas this tragedy happening. My heart is breaking for these parents.
Last week there was a shooting in a mall. A couple of months ago it was in a movie theater.
I know we cannot live in a bubble. Tragedy can happen anytime, anywhere to anybody. But only on this side of heaven. Once we heard Max Lucado say something that was so thought provoking. He said "If you are going to heaven, this earth is the closest to hell that you will ever be. If you are going to hell, then this earth is the closest to heaven that you will ever be."
Isaiah 60:2 See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you.
I lift up in prayer our sweet friends and also all of the families affected by this senseless tragedy.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
Rev 22:20 "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment