Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Reading

Latest books I have read this spring and summer:

I re-read the trilogy by Francine Rivers: Mark of the Lion Series.  Very good.  I have passed it along to some dear friends and bought the set for Lisa's 4th grade teacher as a gift.  It reminded me that I am a disciple of Christ, that I serve Him no matter where I am or what my circumstances are.  Another great read by Francine Rivers is Redeeming Love.

Costly Grace: A Contemporary View of Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship by Jon Walker.
Very good.  Still reading it but here is a very insightful thought:  If every time we sinned, we could hear the clank of hammer to nail through wrist, the devil would have a harder time selling us on his inventory of sin.

How to Study Your Bible by Kay Arthur.  I am borrowing this from Sheila W.  It reminds me of homiletics in BSF.  So far one of the greatest points I am taking away from this book is that sometimes my main reason for being in the Word is subjective--simply to get something for myself.  But my driving passion should be to know the truth and then live accordingly--to know Him and be sanctified (set apart) by His truth.  To let God's word confront me so that I will see my own sin and turn from it and turn toward God.  Great reminder.

In the Dust of the Rabbi by Ray Vander Laan has been my ongoing-dig-into-the-word Bible study this summer.  There is a DVD that goes with this that has been really insightful also.

The girls and I are doing a Proverbs Bible study together for tweens by Vickie Courtney.  We do one or two lessons per week.  I have to be patient--fruit of the spirit patient--because sometimes their attention span goes out the door and then what good is Bible Study if it ends in me getting angry and sending them to bed???

No comments: