We drove up to Fort Worth on Friday after VBS. Cindy and I laugh so much together on road trips. The dumbest things we just crack up at--laughing at ourselves. For example: The construction road sign said "Road ends merge left" I was already in the left lane and said outloud "I am in the right lane." Cindy says "you need to get in the left lane." I said "I am in the right left lane." It just sounded so funny.
We arrived at our hotel room at the Omni in downtown Fort Worth. Lisa and Katie have never stayed in such a nice room (thanks to Aunt Cindy and her frequent travels with her job, she has lots of hotel points, they even upgraded us!) The girls were overflowing with happiness. The rooms had robes...you would have thought they had never seen a robe. What we are used to staying in is an RV at the coast. At the coast, everything we use we have to bring. So we were living it up Friday evening.
Saturday we woke up, got dressed, checked out and went to eat at Waffle House. It was so good and I truly enjoyed watching them make all of the food. Such professionals, those cooks.
The funeral was different. They asked for everybody to dress casually...and they did. T-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, camouflage. I do not know if this person was saved. In his eulogy the pastor gave, there was mention of love for his family, his hobbies (beer brewing, mechanics, hunting, fishing), but not one word on his love for Christ. He spoke about God comforting the family, but no gospel. The funeral bulletin didn't even have ONE bible verse on it. Not even Psalm 23. It had a poem about being a good man...the way the world defines a good man, putting family first. That is fine, but wrong. You get to the end of life, living it for hobbies, family, work, retirement (if you live that long), savings account...all of the stuff that the world says is important.
What is the ONLY thing that matters at the end of life?
My dad said that was the best funeral he had ever been to and wants his to be just like that. Really dad? I told him my questions about this persons salvation and my dad laughed it off. It made me extremely sad.
Since Saturday I have been pondering our life (mine and Mike's mainly). Do we put Jesus first?
Then...
Our sermon today was "A Full Plate"
Luke 10:38-42
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
I am so Martha. Distracted. Type A personality, wants everything done...right now.
What I appreciated about our Adult Bible Class is that serving other people is a good thing. The problem is that satan takes a good thing--service-- and twists it so that Martha is distracted from the One she is serving--Jesus Christ.
What is my top priority? We are called to serve and to work, but we need to sit at the feet of Jesus first.
From Fernando Ortega's song "Give Me Jesus", one of my very favorite songs.
In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus,
You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus
When I am alone
When I am alone
When I am alone, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus,
You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus
When I come to die
When I come to die
When I come to die, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus,
You can have all this world,
You can have all this world,
You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus
Fernando Ortega Video --a beautiful tribute to Ruth Bell Graham.
No comments:
Post a Comment