Monday, February 1, 2010

Weekend recap

This past weekend Mike and I got to go up to Waco to the World Mandate. It was held on the campus of Baylor University and there were about 3000 people in attendance. The theme was "Let Your Kingdom Come."

It is about the idea of God's presence, about serving, missionary work, being not just the "head" of Jesus, but being his hands and feet. It was about what breaks God's heart--the pain in this world--orphans, famine, addiction, any dark place.

There was great worship music, lots of prayer and missionaries did some teaching.

Highlights of the messages:
-Go to the places of pain where people are, in their addiction, difficulties of life, the dark places. Those are the places where God is and He wants to show mercy and grace. God is at work in the pain, He wants to heal and restore. He does that in our lives and we are to take that and help others out in their pain.

-This life is not about all that we can gather, rather it should be about what we can give away.

-God is looking for obedient people. We are not His disciples if we are not obeying.

We headed back on Sunday morning and made it back to church in time for our service. I couldn't believe that our sermon was about serving. Actually, I guess that I can believe that. God likes to do things like that, to make sure we are getting the message.

What I got from our sermon was about the attitude in serving. Giving it your all with a joyful spirit.

A Bible verse from World Mandate that stood out to me was James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

When I hear "servant" I think of you and Mike. I am in awe of your huge loving hearts. and I love ya bunches!

Susan D in San Antonio said...

This conference sounds just like you and Mike. I agree with Robyn...You and Mike have servant hearts. Soft hearts, beating for the Lord. God must be preparing you for a great adventure. Keep us posted.

Nicole said...

You guys are such great servants! I agree with Robyn. Thanks for being a blessing in my life!!

Robyn said...

Hi girlfriend. Did you get your cookbook?

Robyn said...

I left you a little something on my blog. Stop by when you have a minute.